Wednesday, September 20, 2006

September 20, 2006
I will try and get these tests corrected and returned to you by Friday. Upon returning the tests to you, we will spend at least one class period going over the exam and discussing any questions or concerns that you may have about the test. This is important because I always include at least five previous questions on the next test. And of course, one needs to understand these basic concepts to go further and to continue to build upon ones knowledge base...
Note: THE APPEAL PROCESS…As stated in class; in my courses you are afforded the opportunity to “appeal” your grade related to your test scores. In practice, what this means is that you can submit to me in writing [needs to be typed, doubled spaced, two pages maximum length] a justification and/or rationale for why the score you received on a particular test “does not reflect” the level of knowledge or understanding that you possess related to the content material. Typically an appeal involves three parts. In part one, the student submits an overarching rationale or justification for why he/she did relatively poorly on the exam. Think of part one as a kind of INTRODUCTION. In part two, the student submits a demonstrative written work that builds upon the main themes that the test was designed to assess. For example; the first chapter of our American Government text is all about our basic principals or core values that go into or help define our American democractic political process. Also in part two, one may submit an analysis of his or her test in an attempt to explain why the score does not reflect ones knowledge of the content. Part three involves the student submitting what he or she feels is an appropriate grade. For example: Lets say you earned a "D" on the test. In the conclusion of your appeal, you must ask me to do something...like to change your "D" to a "C." Requests should be reasonable. For example, if you get an F on the test, it would be unreasonable to ask for an A or even a B. You must submit the appeal to me within seven days of receiving the corrected test. So, if I get the test back to you on Friday. You need to get an appeal to me by the following Friday. I have the right or power to grant the appeal or I can "veto" the appeal, or I can submit a compromise. If you do not agree with my decision, you can submit one more appeal. But I am fair, at least I think I am fair!!!