Tuesday, October 17, 2006

October 17, 2006
American Government
QOD: a paraphase ~God favors the nation with the biggest artillery... by General Patton
TPNS: North Korea...seems adamant about obtaining nukes at all costs...North Korea denounced UN sanctions over its nuclear test as a declaration of war on Tuesday and the United States and others suspected it might try a second bomb test despite international condemnation. Currently there are eight nations that have the ability to launch nuclear weapons...sick! They are: USA, Great Britain, France, India, Pakistan, Israel, Russia, China...and of course Iran wants to obtain a nuclear arsenal as do many other nations. Like the words of the four star general implies (see the above QOD)the idea is that in order to be "a player" in the world of politics many world leaders believe one must have nukes as a bargaining chip. Of course this is very worrisome, but in my opinion, the most serious danger lies in the very real possibility that one of these "rogue" nations would sell the nukes to a terrorist group, like al Qaeda. Or that one of these nations, like Pakistan, [or even Russia] will simply implode and fall into chaos...A situation that would allow the opportunist to steal or sell the nukes...Peace through strength--I have my doubts and history is on my side. Austin, who is an intelligent lad, ask me the obvious question...[a question that does not often get asked]Why is North Korea doing this? I told him that in my view there are essentially two options or rationales behind their defiance and committment to getting a nuclear arsenal. Option #1: They are hoping to get nukes so that they can deal with us and the rest of Team Nukes in a manner that works with this sorta "rational" notion of you don't hit me and I won't hit you or Mutually Assured Destruction Doctrine...the idea being something like this: I have a huge, lethal, and tested gun pointed at you and you have a huge, lethal, and tested gun pointed at me. If I pull the trigger, then you instanteously pull the trigger...and therefore the reasoning goes that I am not crazy and you are not crazy...so we are not going to pull the triggers, so we will have to work out our differences using some other strategy other than military force...so it goes. Option #2: The political leadership of North Korea is INSANE and therefore willing to commit societal suicide...
McLaughlin's number one issue pertained to the politics of the current nuclear "crisis" involving North Korea's provocative move to continue pushing towards a nuclear arsenal...Buchanan sez that we must establish "bilateral" talks. This means simply to actively pursue a dialogue between just the Bush administration and the ruling regime of North Korea. I told the classes that this is a very dangerous situation...not unlike the Cuban Missile Crisis in the 1960s...in some respects. Issue #2: The Bush Administration's new strategy regarding the war in Iraq. What to do as military leaders in both the UK and the USA are starting to publically question the "stay the course" strategy. The idea of trying to police a full blown civil war in Iraq is not a rosy scenario...Issue #3: Should Rumsfeld go?

I will most probably have the tests done by tommorrow...I will try! I promise...